A Lenten Vocabulary
by Jean Grant
A Group Activity for the Family at Home or Your Class Family
Unscramble each set of letters to form a word associated with Lent. Then find the definition of the word below and complete the definition by writing the word in the blank.
stainbence _______________ smalinigvg _______________
stingfa _______________ hAs sendeWday ______________
sampl _______________ encapen _______________
treeds _______________ repayr _______________
secarific _______________ loveit _______________
1. Acts of fasting, prayer, and giving alms are ways of doing ___________, especially during Lent.
2. During Lent, ______________ refers to eating no meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays.
3. The season of Lent reflects the 40 days that Jesus spent in the __________.
4. _______________ is the giving of money or goods to the poor as a form of penance.
5. ______________ is an act that shows our love for God and others by putting God and others before ourselves.
6. _____ _____________ is the first day of Lent.
7. When we eat only one regular-sized meal and two smaller meals during the days of Lent we are ______________.
8. ___________ from the previous Palm Sunday are burned to be used as ashes for Ash Wednesday.
9. __________ is the color of vestments worn on four of the six Sundays of Lent.
10. ______________ is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God.
ANSWER KEY: 1. penance 2. abstinence 3. desert 4. Almsgiving 5. Sacrifice 6. Ash Wednesday 7. fasting 8. Palms 9. Violet 10. Prayer
Permission is granted for use in your program and with your students’ families. To review the correct definitions, go to catechist.com, Support for Catechist, Article Archive, and enter keyword vocabulary and author Grant.
Jean Grant teaches second grade at St. Charles Borromeo School, St. Charles, MO.
Copyright 2015, Peter Li, Inc. All rights reserved. This article is protected by United States copyright and other intellectual property laws and may not be reproduced, rewritten, distributed, redisseminated, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast, directly or indirectly, in any medium without the prior written permission of Peter Li, Inc.